All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Politics of Market Discipline in Latin America uses a multi-method approach to challenge the conventional wisdom that financial markets impose broad and severe constraints over leftist ecomic policies in emerging market countries. It shows, rather, that in Latin America, this influence varies markedly among countries and over time, depending on cycles of currency booms and crises exogeus to policy making. Market discipline is strongest during periods of dollar scarcity, which, in low-savings commodity-exporting countries, occurs when commodity prices are high and international interest rates low. In periods of dollar abundance, when the opposite happens, the market's capacity to constrain leftist governments is very limited. Ultimately, Daniela Campello argues that financial integration should force the Left toward the center in ecomies less subject to these cycles, but t in those most vulnerable to them.
- Author BiographyDaniela Campello is an Assistant Professor of Politics and International Affairs at the Getulio Vargas Foundation (FGV), Brazil. Before joining the FGV in July 2013, Campello was an Assistant Professor of Politics and International Affairs in the Department of Politics and at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University, New Jersey. Her work has been published in Comparative Political Studies, the Oxford Handbook of Latin American Political Economy, and in edited volumes published in the United States, Spain, Uruguay, and Brazil.
- Author(s)Daniela Campello
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2015
- SubjectPolitics & Government: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note65 b/w illus. 21 tables
- Weight510 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.