All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionModern political conflict characteristically reflects and represents deep-seated but also unackwledged and un-analyzed disagreements about what it means to be 'objective'. In defending this proposition, Peter J. Steinberger seeks to reaffirm the idea of rationalism in politics by examining important problems of public life explicitly in the light of established philosophical doctrine. The Politics of Objectivity invokes, thereby, an age-old, though w widely igred, tradition of western thought according to which all political thinking is inevitably embedded in and underwritten by larger structures of metaphysical inquiry. Building on earlier studies of the idea of the state, and focusing on highly contested practices of objectivity in judgement, this book suggests that political conflict is an essentially discursive enterprise deeply implicated in the rational pursuit of theories about how things in the world really are.
- Author BiographyPeter J. Steinberger is Robert H. and Blanche Day Ellis Professor of Political Science and Humanities at Reed College. His books include The Idea of the State (Cambridge University Press, 2004), The Concept of Political Judgment (1993) and Logic and Politics: Hegel's Philosophy of Right (1988). His articles have appeared in many scholarly journals including American Political Science Review, American Journal of Political Science, Journal of Politics, Political Theory and Political Studies as well as in such general interest publications as the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and Christian Science Monitor.
- Author(s)Peter J. Steinberger
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication10/08/2015
- SubjectPolitics & Government: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight570 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.