About this product
- DescriptionThe wave of popular uprisings that swept across the Arab world starting in December 2010 rattled regimes from Morocco to Oman. However, Leban's sectarian system proved immune to the domestic and regional pressures unleashed by the Arab Spring. How can this be explained? How has the country's political elite dealt with challenges to the system? And, finally, what lessons can other Arab states draw from Leban's sectarian experience? Using extensive field work, The Politics of Sectarianism in Postwar Leban looks at the mix of institutional, clientelist, and discursive practices that sustain the sectarian nature of Leban. The book exposes snapshots of an ever-expanding sectarian web that occupies substantial areas of everyday Lebanese life. It also surveys struggles waged by opponents of the system - by women, teachers, public sector employees, students or coalitions across NGOs - and how their efforts are often sabotaged or contained by various systematic forces.
- Author BiographyBassel F. Salloukh is Associate Professor of Political Science at the Lebanese American University. He is author, co-author, and co-editor of a number of books including Beyond the Arab Spring: Authoritarianism and Democratization in the Arab World (2012). Rabie Barakat is a PhD candidate in Political Science at the University of Edinburgh. He is also a former news presenter and field reporter in different Arab news outlets. Jinan S. Al-Habbal is a PhD candidate in International Relations at the University of St Andrews. Lara W. Khattab is a PhD candidate in Political Science at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada. Shoghig Mikaelian is a PhD candidate in Political Science at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada.
- Author(s)Jinan S. Al-Habbal,Lara. W Khattab,Mr. Bassel F. Salloukh,Rabie Barakat,Shoghig Mikaelian
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication17/07/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.43New
- AU $65.08Used
- AU $78.89New
- AU $105.79New
- AU $75.81Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.35Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.58
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $19.25Trending at AU $20.63
- AU $17.63Trending at AU $20.11
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.