All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA limited collector's edition of 1500 copies. This is the story of an incredible and very rare car. Road tests examined the 210bhp, 150mph road car's performance, magazines hailed it as one of the greatest Porsche 'specials,' and rumour says that the last front-engined models could have threatened the sales of Porsche's flagship 911, causing the 924 Carrera to be 'killed off.' From its early conceptual phase and the 924 Rallye Turbo of 1979, to the prototype 924 GTR/P that tested at the Paul Ricard Circuit and went on to place sixth at Le Mans in 1980, this book records the model's evolution to excellence, based on extensive research in Porsche AG's own archives. It covers the 406 Homologation models, built to qualify for Le Mans, and the 59 very special competition models, as well as the 17 GTR racing models. With race details covering Europe and the USA, from the Sports Car Club of America production D racers, to the GTO and Trans Am class 924 GTRs of the mid-80s, this is the first time that the full history of this rare supercar has been told.
- Author BiographyRoy Smith is a retired company director with a lifetime passion for motor sport. He began writing in the 1960s for club magazines, recording details of interviews with notables of the time. A 40-year business career in sales and marketing developed an attention to detail that is crucial to writing a work such as this and his previous works about the development of the first turbo Formula 1 car, the complete history of the Alpine Renault sports prototypes (for which he was awarded the Guild of Motoring Writers Mercedes Benz Prize and the Montagu of Beaulieu Trophy in 2010), a comprehensive study of the racing legend Amedee Gordini and the definitive work on Alpine Renault berlinettes. He has written and continues to write many specialist articles for websites and magazines in the UK, and internationally as a UK historic correspondent. His aim in this book is, as before, is to record another first in English for future generations: this time the story of a remarkable car overshadowed by the fame of its siblings. Here we see a change of direction for Roy away from French subjects to a German one with an in-depth study of the 924 Carrera GT, from homolgation special to championship winning rally car and class winner at Le Mans.
- Author(s)Roy P. Smith
- PublisherVeloce Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication28/12/2014
- SubjectRoad & Motor Vehicles: General Interest
- Place of PublicationDorset
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVeloce Publishing Ltd
- Content Note400
- Weight1814 g
- Width250 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.