All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTwo of the strategies that governments have to help people on low incomes - providing direct financial support and encouraging them to earn more - generally conflict. This report provides new evidence on the trade-off between redistributing income and improving work incentives. Drawing on large-scale survey data spanning the last 26 years, the report analyses the incomes and work incentives facing thousands of individuals and families, and how they are affected by the tax and benefit system. It: shows how work incentives vary across the population and how this has changed since 1979; estimates how far tax and benefit reforms have been responsible for changes in work incentives; compares these trends with trends in poverty and inequality; examines how various policy options for the future would affect the distributions of both income and work incentives. Can Governments Reduce Poverty and Improve Work Incentives? is aimed at policy makers, academics and students in the field of taxation and welfare reform, and all those who wish to improve their understanding of the trade-off between redistributing income and improving work incentives.
- Author BiographyStuart Adam is a senior research economist, Mike Brewer a programme director and Andrew Shephard a PhD scholar, all at the Institute for Fiscal Studies. They conduct research into how tax and benefit policies affect households in the UK.
- Author(s)Andrew Shephard,Mike Brewer,Stuart Adam
- PublisherPolicy Press
- Date of Publication03/10/2006
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolicy Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight259 g
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.25Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.