All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPenned with a compelling elegance and charm, the Practical Art of Suicide Assessment is brimming with clinical wisdom, enlightening case illustrations and a vibrant sense of compassion. Viewed as one of the classics in the field of mental health, and acclaimed by both beginning students and experienced clinicians alike, it describes in a step-by-step fashion exactly how to make a sound suicide assessment. Dr. Shea explores the causes of suicidal ideation as well as the nuances of risk actors, protective factors, and the complexities of the clinical formulation of risk. He skillfully integrates all of this information for the reader by using real-life case examples and addressing daunting clinical challenges head-on such as assessing suicide risk with clients coping with borderline personality disorder or psychotic process. In addition Dr. Shea brings to life the highly acclaimed interview strategy for uncovering suicidal ideation, planning, behavior and intent the Chrological Assessment of Suicide Events (CASE Approach). Dr. Shea, the originator of the CASE Approach, shows exactly how to creatively and flexibly use its invative interviewing techniques to match the unique needs of every client. The CASE Approach has been described by the ted suicidologist and past President of the American Association of Suicidology, David Jobes, Ph.D. as follows: The CASE Approach moves the clinician almost imperceptibly into the secret internal workings of the mind and soul of the patient tormented by suicidal ideation. I believe that the CASE Approach is a remarkable conceptual and clinical contribution to the field of suicidology. It should be taught to any front-line clinician. It has the power to meaningfully save lives. Dr. Shea concludes the book with a -nsense approach to documenting a suicide risk assessment that can both help to save a client's life as well as keep the clinician out of court. Respected across the globe, the Practical Art of Suicide Assessment has been translated into languages as diverse as French and Japanese. Mental Health Presses is pleased to re-issue this classic in contemporary suicide prevention (originally published in 2002).
- Author BiographyAbout the Author: Shawn Christopher Shea, M.D. is an internationally acclaimed workshop leader and educational innovator in the fields of suicide prevention, building resiliency, clinical interviewing, and improving medication adherence having given over 850 presentations worldwide. He is the author of six books and numerous articles including one of the classic texts in the field of suicide prevention, The Practical Art of Suicide Assessment. His book on creating resiliency in difficult times - Happiness Is. - was chosen as a Brodart Library Gem, a Bowker's title to Watch, and as the Philosophy Book of the Month by the Radical Academy. His works have been translated into a variety of languages including French, Greek, Japanese, and Chinese. Both editions of his book, Psychiatric Interviewing: the Art of Understanding, have been chosen by the Medical Library Association for the Brandon/Hill List as one of the most important books in the field of psychiatry. His text Improving Medication Adherence: How to Talk with Patients About Their Medications was chosen for Doody's Core Titles List of important books in the fields of medicine and nursing. Dr. Shea is the Director of the Training Institute for Suicide Assessment and Clinical Interviewing (TISA) at www.suicideassessment.com, a training and consultation service providing workshops, consultations, and quality assurance design in mental health assessments. He is also in private practice.
- Author(s)Shawn Christopher Shea
- PublisherMental Health Presses
- Date of Publication04/04/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMental Health Presses
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight449 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.