All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis study examines all forms of penitential practice in the Holy Roman Empire under the Ottoman and Salian Reich, c.900-c.1050. This crucial period in the history of penance, falling between the Carolingians' codification of public and private penance, and the promotion of the practice of confession in the thirteenth century, has largely been igred by historians. Tracing the varieties of penitential practice recorded in church law, the liturgy, monastic practice, narrative and documentary sources, Dr. Hamilton's book argues that many of the changes previously attributed to the twelfth and thirteenth centuries can be found earlier in the tenth and early eleventh centuries. Whilst ackwledging that there was a degree of continuity from the Carolingian period, she asserts that the period should be seen as having its own dynamic. investigating the sources for penitential practice by genre, she ackwledges the prescriptive bias of many of them and points ways around the problem in order to establish the reality of practice in this area at this time. This book, thus, studies the Church in action in the tenth and eleventh centuries, the reality of relations between churchmen, and between churchmen and the laity, as well as the nature of clerical aspirations. It examines the legacy left by the Carolingian reformers and contributes to our understanding of pre-Gregorian mentalities in the period before the late eleventh-century reforms. Sarah Hamilton is a British Academy Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of History, University of Exeter.
- Author BiographySARAH HAMILTON is a British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow, History Department, University of Exeter.
- Author(s)Sarah Hamilton
- PublisherBoydell & Brewer Ltd
- Date of Publication15/07/2001
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleRoyal Historical Society Studies in History New Series
- Series Part/Volume NumberVolume 20
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2001
- ImprintRoyal Historical Society
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight571 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.03Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.