All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the nature of the fundamental relation we have to ourselves that makes each of us a self? To answer this question, Charles Larmore develops a systematic theory of the self, challenging the widespread view that the self's defining relation to itself is to have an immediate kwledge of its own thoughts. On the contrary, Larmore maintains, our essential relation to ourselves is practical, as is clear when we consider the nature of belief and desire. For to believe or desire something consists in committing ourselves to thinking and acting in accord with the presumed truth of our belief or the presumed value of what we desire. Larmore develops this conception with frequent reference to such classic authors as Montaigne, Stendhal, and Proust and by comparing it to other views of the self in contemporary philosophy. He also discusses the important ethical consequences of his theory of the self, arguing that it allows us to better grasp what it means to be ourselves and why self-understanding often involves self-creation. The Practices of the Self is that rare kind of lucid yet rigorous work that transcends disciplinary boundaries.
- Author BiographyCharles Larmore is the W. Duncan MacMillan Family Professor in the Humanities and professor of philosophy at Brown University. He is the author of numerous books in French and English, including The Autonomy of Morality.
- Author(s)Charles E. Larmore
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2011
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated bySharon Bowman
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.