All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith every new presidential administration, thousands of highly accomplished individuals face one of the greatest challenges of their lives: learning to become an effective presidential appointee. This handbook will help ease that task. In clear, crisp language, punctuated by numerous examples, Edward DeSeve explains the ten core competencies that distinguish successful presidential appointees. These skills and abilities range from personal dedication to public service and the ability to manage change to global awareness. In illustrating these concepts, DeSeve draws on ideas developed by scholars of public and business management, as well as his many years of government service. Equally important, he presents a guide to the key terms, laws, and regulations that new appointees will have to deal with once in office. Not surprisingly, presidential appointees have typically been successful in their professional lives. These are people accustomed to getting things done. But for many of them, the federal government constitutes a brave new world, full of daunting challenges and potential pitfalls. The Presidential Appointee's Handbook will help them find their footing and effectively formulate, implement, and enforce the policies of the president at whose pleasure they serve. It will also help political observers grasp more fully the ermity of installing and operating a new government.
- Author BiographyG. Edward DeSeve is senior lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania's Fels Institute for Government and senior fellow at the James MacGregor Burns Academy of Leadership at the University of Maryland School of Public Policy, USA. He previously served as chief financial officer of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, controller of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and deputy director for management at OMB.
- Author(s)G. Edward DeSeve
- PublisherBrookings Institution
- Date of Publication01/12/2008
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationWashington DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrookings Institution
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight200 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.