All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
About this product
- DescriptionParaguay had the oldest one-party regime on earth. Under the 60-year dictatorship of General Alfredo Stroessner's Colorado party, wealth and power became concentrated in the hands of a small few; until elections in 2008 broke the party's hold on the country and promised a newer, more egalitarian future, particularly for the country's indigeus people. In The Priest of Paraguay Hugh O'Shaughnessy tells the story of how Fernando Lugo, a bishop from a deprived diocese, swept to victory and what this means for his country, Latin America and the wider world. He traces Lugo's life alongside the turbulent history of Paraguay - from his early years in a family which fell victim to Stroessner to his release by the Vatican in order to follow a political calling to the outcry following revelations of illegitimate children. The book also examines what may lie in store for the newest addition to Latin America's 'pink tide' of socialist and social democratic countries. This is history of a fascinating but largely unkwn country by one of the most respected commentators on Latin America.
- Author BiographyHugh O'Shaughnessy has been writing and broadcasting about Latin America for over forty years. In this time he has worked for the Financial Times, the Economist, The New Statesman, the Observer and the BBC, among others. He has won two British Press Awards and the Wilberforce Medallion from the city of Hull. He has also been recognised by the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism in the United States. His books include 'Grenada: Revolution, Invasion and Aftermath' and 'Pinochet: The Politics of Torture'.
- Author(s)Edgar Venerando Ruiz Diaz,Hugh O'Shaughnessy
- PublisherZed Books Ltd
- Date of Publication10/09/2009
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZed Books Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight204 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine138 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.