The Princess and the Goblin: A Children's Fantasy Novel by George MacDonald (Paperback / softback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $17.97Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $32.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Princess and the Goblin - A Children's Fantasy Novel - By George Macdonald The Princess and the Goblin is a children's fantasy vel by George MacDonald. It was published in 1872 by Strahan & Co. The sequel to this book is The Princess and Curdie. Anne Thaxter Eaton writes in A Critical History of Children's Literature that The Princess and the Goblin and its sequel quietly suggest in every incident ideas of courage and hor. Jeffrey Holdaway writing in New Zealand Art Monthly said that both books start out as rmal fairytales but slowly become stranger, and that they contain layers of symbolism similar to that of Lewis Carroll's work. Eight-year-old Princess Irene lives a lonely life in a castle in a wild, desolate, mountaius kingdom, with only her nursemaid, Lootie for company. Her father the king is rmally absent attending to affairs of state, and her mother is dead. Irene has never kwn about the existence of the goblins which lurk in the underground mines but her nursemaid Lootie does kw about them. These goblins are grotesque and hideous beings, who centuries ago were human, but due to various reasons, they were driven underground and became malformed and distorted by their new lifestyle. This caused them to despise the humans above the ground and vow revenge against them.
- Author BiographyGeorge MacDonald (10 December 1824 - 18 September 1905) was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister. He was a pioneering figure in the field of fantasy literature and the mentor of fellow writer Lewis Carroll. His writings have been cited as a major literary influence by many notable authors including W. H. Auden, C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, E. Nesbit and Madeleine L'Engle. C. S. Lewis wrote that he regarded MacDonald as his master : Picking up a copy of Phantastes one day at a train-station bookstall, I began to read. A few hours later, said Lewis, I knew that I had crossed a great frontier. G. K. Chesterton cited The Princess and the Goblin as a book that had made a difference to my whole existence.
- Author(s)George MacDonald
- Date of Publication27/03/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $31.01New
- AU $86.25New
- AU $21.56New
- AU $43.88New
- AU $23.51New
- AU $25.04New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.48Trending at AU $31.01
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $86.23
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.16
- AU $59.72Trending at AU $61.86
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.85
- AU $22.27Trending at AU $22.91
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.