All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionWith more than 5,000 entries totaling over a million words, this is the most comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of Buddhism ever produced in English. It is also the first to cover terms from all of the canical Buddhist languages and traditions: Sanskrit, Pali, Tibetan, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. Unlike reference works that focus on a single Buddhist language or school, The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism bridges the major Buddhist traditions to provide encyclopedic coverage of the most important terms, concepts, texts, authors, deities, schools, monasteries, and geographical sites from across the history of Buddhism. The main entries offer both a brief definition and a substantial short essay on the broader meaning and significance of the term covered. Extensive cross-references allow readers to find related terms and concepts. An appendix of Buddhist lists (for example, the four ble truths and the thirty-two marks of the Buddha), a timeline, six maps, and two diagrams are also included. Written and edited by two of today's most eminent scholars of Buddhism, and more than a decade in the making, this landmark work is an essential reference for every student, scholar, or practitioner of Buddhism and for anyone else interested in Asian religion, history, or philosophy. * The most comprehensive dictionary of Buddhism ever produced in English * More than 5,000 entries totaling over a million words * The first dictionary to cover terms from all of the canical Buddhist languages and traditions--Sanskrit, Pali, Tibetan, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean * Detailed entries on the most important terms, concepts, texts, authors, deities, schools, monasteries, and geographical sites in the history of Buddhism * Cross-references and appendixes that allow readers to find related terms and look up equivalent terms in multiple Buddhist languages * Includes a list of Buddhist lists, a timeline, and maps * Also contains selected terms and names in Thai, Burmese, Vietnamese, Lao, Khmer, Sinhalese, Newar, and Mongolian
- Author BiographyRobert E. Buswell Jr. holds the Irving and Jean Stone Endowed Chair in Humanities at the University of California, Los Angeles, where he is also Distinguished Professor of Buddhist Studies and founding director of the Center for Buddhist Studies. He is the editor-in-chief of the two-volume Encyclopedia of Buddhism and the author of The Zen Monastic Experience (Princeton), among many other books. Donald S. Lopez Jr. is the Arthur E. Link Distinguished University Professor of Buddhist and Tibetan Studies at the University of Michigan. He is the author of The Tibetan Book of the Dead: A Biography and the editor of Buddhism in Practice (both Princeton), among many other books.
- PrizesWinner of Dartmouth Medal 2015. Shortlisted for Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2014.
- Author(s)Donald S. Lopez,Robert E. Buswell
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication22/11/2013
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note2 line illus. 1 table. 6 maps.
- Weight2457 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine61 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.