Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionIn his monumental 1687 work, Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica, kwn familiarly as the Principia, Isaac Newton laid out in mathematical terms the principles of time, force, and motion that have guided the development of modern physical science. Even after more than three centuries and the revolutions of Einsteinian relativity and quantum mechanics, Newtonian physics continues to account for many of the phemena of the observed world, and Newtonian celestial dynamics is used to determine the orbits of our space vehicles. This authoritative, modern translation by I. Bernard Cohen and Anne Whitman, the first in more than 285 years, is based on the 1726 edition, the final revised version approved by Newton; it includes extracts from the earlier editions, corrects errors found in earlier versions, and replaces archaic English with contemporary prose and up-to-date mathematical forms. Newton's principles describe acceleration, deceleration, and inertial movement; fluid dynamics; and the motions of the earth, moon, planets, and comets. A great work in itself, the Principia also revolutionized the methods of scientific investigation. It set forth the fundamental three laws of motion and the law of universal gravity, the physical principles that account for the Copernican system of the world as emended by Kepler, thus effectively ending controversy concerning the Copernican planetary system. The translation - only edition of this preeminent work is truly accessible for today's scientists, scholars, and students.
- Author BiographyI. Bernard Cohen (1914-2003) was Victor S. Thomas Professor of the History of Science at Harvard University. He was the author of Benjamin Franklin's Science, Interactions, and Science and the Founding Fathers. Anne Whitman (1937-1984) was coeditor (with I. Bernard Cohen and Alexander Koyre) of the Latin edition, with variant readings, of the Principia. Julia Budenz, author of From the Gardens of Flora Baum, is a multilingual classicist and poet.
- Author(s)Sir Isaac Newton
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication05/02/2016
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1225 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Translated byI. Bernard Cohen,Anne Whitman,Julia Budenz
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.