The Principles of English Grammar: Comprising the Substance of the Most Approved English Grammar Extant, with Copious Exercises in Parsing and Syntax; And an Appendix of Various and Useful Matter, for the Use of Schools (Classic Reprint) by Peter Bullions (Paperback / softback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.79Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $40.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExcerpt from The Principles of English Grammar: Comprising the Substance of the Most Approved English Grammar Extant, With Copious Exercises in Parsing and Syntax; And an Appendix of Various and Useful Matter, for the Use of Schools A kwledge of English Grammar is very properly considered an indispensable part of an English education; and is w taught as such, in all our Academies and Common Schools. The great number of elementary works which have recently appeared on this subject, is a pleasing evidence of the attention which has been bestowed upon it. Among these, ne has enjoyed greater favour than the Grammar of Lindley Murray; and the high rank which it still holds among the numerous works which have appeared since its publication, is a decided testimony to the soundness of its principles and the excellence of the system. With all its excellence, however, it is far from being incapable of improvement; and the attempt to add to its value as a manual for schools, by correcting what is erroneous, retrenching what is superfluous or unimportant, compressing what is prolix, elucidating what is obscure, determining what was left doubtful, supplying what is defective, and bringing up the whole to that state of improvement to which the labours of eminent scientific and practical writers of the present day have so greatly contributed, can hardly fail, if well executed, to prove acceptable to the public. Such was my design; and though there may be reason to regret that it has t been undertaken by some one more capable of doing justice to the subject, still it is hoped that the labour bestowed, in order to carry it into effect, will t be altogether in vain. In endeavouring to avoid the minutiae and diffuseness of the larger Grammar, care has been taken to guard against the opposite extreme. The abridgments of Murray w in use, are little more than a sypsis of the larger work; presenting a mere outline of the subject, altogether too meagre to be of much service to the learner. The same remark is applicable to a great number of smaller works which have been published with a similar view; namely, to serve as an introduction to a more extended system. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
- Author(s)Peter Bullions
- PublisherForgotten Books
- Date of Publication27/09/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintForgotten Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.