All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow can we transform and future-proof the post-industrial city through strategies of architectural and urban design? The answer is to use an energy-efficient, zero-carbon model based on renewable energy sources and renewable building typologies. This book presents different models for sustainable urban growth, based on the principles of 'Green Urbanism'. Current and emergent forms of urbanism are influenced by climate change, leading to the idea of a new generation of 'zero-emission cities'. These cities are seen as applying new concepts in densification and expansion, designed with energy efficiency and sustainability as principal criteria. The aim of this type of 'Systems Thinking' is to connect and integrate sustainable design principles with a holistic idea for the future of our cities to generate future-proof strategies for the revitalization of the urban landscape. The first section of the book clearly explains these principles and how they can be employed, illustrated by clear diagrams for ease of comprehension. The principles as applied are then explored through in-depth case studies of the post-industrial Australian city of Newcastle, which is at an important juncture in its urban evolution. This is essential reading for urban designers, architects, landscape architects and researchers/students in these disciplines around the world.
- Author BiographyProfessor Steffen Lehmann PhD, holds the UNESCO Chair in Sustainable Urban Development in Asia and the Pacific, as well as the Professorial Chair in Architectural Design at The University of Newcastle, Australia. He is an architect and urban designer, and the Founding Director of the s_Lab Space Laboratory for Architectural Research and Design (Sydney-Berlin).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication22/10/2010
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEarthscan Ltd
- Content NotePhotographs, figures, diagrams, tables, index
- Weight2290 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine48 mm
- Edited bySteffen Lehmann
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.