All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPostmodernism in the West and postsocialism in Eastern Europe have deep features in common as they both challenge the foundations of the world order. They create a new educational situation where basic issues of subjectivity, identity, human freedom, and social agency need to be reevaluated and reconstructed. This situation affects both sides of the former Iron Curtain since East and West served as each other's Other in terms of identity formation. This book deals with the problem of freedom and identity in educational theories as they are reinterpreted in the critical perspective of postmodern social theory and postsocialist political openness. Issues of freedom and identity are considered as dialectically related to those of power and emancipation. This book sketches a metatheoretical perspective on emancipatory education in a broad, trans-cultural context appropriate to the new global community.
- Author BiographyTOMASZ SZKUDLAREK is Assistant Professor in the Institute of Education at the University of Gdansk in Poland. He has written books on critical pedagogy published in Poland and numerous articles in educational journals.
- Author(s)Tomasz Szkudlarek
- Date of Publication21/06/1993
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleCritical Studies in Education & Culture
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight205 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.