All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis accessible new book provides a clear and wide-ranging introduction to the defining problems of contemporary philosophy. Its unique feature is to focus on problems that cut across the established divide between analytic and continental philosophical traditions. Instead of segregating the two traditions, as is usually done, the authors offer a critical orientation and guide for readers who are t exclusively affiliated with either approach and who want to understand the increasingly shared questions philosophers are asking and addressing today. Each chapter starts with a fundamental overarching question: (1) What and how can we kw? (2) What is the structure of the world? (3) What goes beyond the physical world? (4) What is to be done? (5) What does it mean to orient oneself philosophically? Under these headings, the authors critically examine the discipline's most fundamental problems. Their approach reveals deep and unexpected connections across the analytic/continental divide, and opens up new ways of thinking about critique itself. No other book about contemporary philosophy is as comprehensive and cosmopolitan. The Problems of Contemporary Philosophy provides newcomers and seasoned philosophers alike with an entertaining, engaging, and far-reaching portrait of today's philosophical landscape. It is an exemplary instance of thinking across and beyond the analytic/continental divide.
- Author BiographyPaul M. Livingston is Associate Professor of Philosophy at the University of New Mexico. He has published widely on the history of twentieth century philosophy, philosophy of language, philosophy of mind and phenomenology. He is the author of three previous books, most recently The Politics of Logic (Routledge, 2011). Andrew Cutrofello is Professor of Philosophy at Loyola University Chicago. He is the author of four books, including Continental Philosophy: A Contemporary Introduction (Routledge, 2005).
- Author(s)Andrew Cutrofello,Paul Livingston
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication16/10/2015
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Weight372 g
- Width153 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.