All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBertrand Russell is an excellent writer and a clear thinker. This book serves as a great, short introduction to Russell's approach to the problems of philosophy. The problems Russell addresses are primarily epistemological. Russell's primary questions revolve around the question: what do we kw, and how do we kw it? Russell first argues for the appearance/reality distinction and offers a sense-datum theory of the foundations of kwledge (for a very interesting critique of sense datum theories I recommend Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austin). But, Russell argues, sense data on their own cant account for our kwledge. We must have some kwledge of general principles, and some kind of inductive principle, if we are going to derive any kwledge from sense data to arrive at kwledge that is t immediate (Russell also includes memory in immediate forms of kwledge). Russell examines the meaning of truth and falsehood and determines three criteria that any theory of the truth must meet, and then, in the last two chapters, Russell attempts to determine the limits and the value of philosophy. In terms of straight forward clarity of analytic philosophers, and Russell is one of the best, which is one of the reasons why he won the Nobel prize for literature in 1950.
- Author BiographyBertrand Russell (1872 - 1970). Philosopher, mathematician, educational and sexual reformer, pacifist, prolific letter writer, author and columnist, Bertrand Russell was one of the most influential and widely known intellectual figures of the twentieth century. In 1950 he was awarded the Noble Prize for Literature in 1950 for his extensive contributions to world literature and for his rationality and humanity, as a fearless champion of free speech and free thought in the West.
- Author(s)Bertrand Russell
- Date of Publication06/01/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight122 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $20.09Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.