All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLouise von Francois (1817-1893) was a German realist writer whose work appeared in several editions during her lifetime and was translated abroad. Her most famous vel, Die letzte Reckenburgerin, attracted significant critical attention from her contemporaries and was regarded as one of the most invative vels of the century. Her other prose fiction, however, is less well kwn. In the context of the ongoing re-assessment of nineteenth-century women writers, this book evaluates the thematic preoccupations and narrative technique of Francois s creative work as a whole. Through a study of ten representative texts, most of which have t been subject to detailed literary analysis in the past, the author considers Francois s powerful portrayals of female self-reliance, and seeks to elucidate aspects of her most cherished convictions, which centred on values of hour and duty, and on a vision of a more equitable and decent society.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Barbara Burns lectures in German language and literature at the University of Glasgow. She has published books and articles on a number of nineteenth-century writers including Adolf Mullner, Theodor Storm, Paul Heyse and Detlev von Liliencron, and is also Germanic editor of the MHRA journal The Year s Work in Modern Language Studies.
- Author(s)Barbara Burns
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/10/2006
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleBritische und Irische Studien zur Deutschen Sprache und Literatur/British and Irish Studies in German Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number44
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2006
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight230 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.