All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the summer of 1764, Sir William Johnson (Superintendent of Indian Affairs) and over two thousand chiefs representing twenty-four First Nations met on the shores of the Niagara River to negotiate the Treaty of Niagara an agreement between the British Crown and the Indigeus peoples. This treaty, symbolized by the Covenant Chain Wampum, is seen by many Indigeus peoples as the birth of modern Canada, despite the fact that it has been mostly igred by successive Canadian governments since. The Queen at the Council Fire is the first book to examine the Covenant Chain relationship since its inception. In particular, the book explores the role of what Walter Bagehot calls the Dignified Crown, which, though constrained by the traditions of responsible government, remains one of the few institutions able to polish the Covenant Chain and help Canada along the path to reconciliation. The book concludes with concrete suggestions for representatives of the Dignified Crown to strengthen their relationships with Indigeus peoples.
- Author BiographyNathan Tidridge was presented the Queen s Diamond Jubilee Medal by the Prince of Wales in 2012. A high-school history teacher, he won the Premier s Award for Teaching Excellence (Teacher of the Year, 2008). Nathan is the author of Beyond Mainland, Canada s Constitutional Monarchy, and Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. He lives in Waterdown, Ontario.
- Author(s)Author Nathan Tidridge
- PublisherDundurn Group
- Date of Publication14/07/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleInstitute for the Study of the Crown in Canada
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDundurn Group
- Content Notecolour illustrations, index
- Weight272 g
- Width150 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.15
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.