The Queen of Education: Rules for Making Schools Work by LouAnne Johnson (Paperback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.91Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $16.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWanted: A Queen of Education Candidate must be able to take decisive action, cut through red tape, deflate the bureaucratic bloat, wrestle with the diagstic nightmare of ADHD, and refuse to sell out her students to the corporate fat cats. Though we have education presidents who give lip service to fixing schools?what we really need is a Queen of Education who will get the job done. Anyone searching for such a candidate would put LouAnne Johnson's resume on the top of the stack of likely applicants. LouAnne Johnson is the gutsy ex-marine turned teacher who has wrestled with tough kids and even tougher adults. Her life inspired the movie Dangerous Minds - which was based on her book My Posse Don't Do Homework. Johnson's knack for finding original solutions to intractable problems has t only made her an exemplary teacher but a popular speaker on the lecture circuit. In this engaging book, Queen LouAnne offers her down-to-earth advice about fixing schools. Johnson makes secret about the fact that she is fed up with an educational system that is too quick to label and write off children who don?t fit the mold. Among her royal rules for fixing the system: class shall have more than 20 students, all elected representatives must teach in a public school classroom for two weeks, and the testing frenzy must stop this very second! LouAnne is a passionate advocate for schools that are smaller, healthier, more humane, and more attuned to different learning styles. With humor and good sense, she shows how a compassionate teacher or parent can cut through the red tape and make a crucial difference in the life of a child. LouAnne Johnson's book is a blend of common sense, humor, and practical, down-to-earth ideas of how each one of us, as a parent or a concerned citizen, can make a contribution toward improving America's public schools. I highly recommend it. - Michele Borba, Ed.D., author, Don't Give Me That Attitude!, No More Misbehavin', and Building Moral Intelligence As a former student of LouAnne's first 'at risk' class, I experienced firsthand her approach to education. The result was thing less than a miracle. This book has the power to do for the United States education system what it did for our class; turn a flawed reality into an exemplary system of education. - Dan Mueller, associate producer and designer, BottleRocket Entertainment Inc. LouAnne Johnson writes with passion, humor, and good old common sense about the joys and frustrations of teaching, and the ways in which caring individuals can make a critical difference. Her book is a must read for all who have a stake in the success of our schools. - Robert R. Spillane, United States Department of State, Office of Overseas Schools, former New York State Deputy Commissioner of Education and former superintendent of the Boston and Fairfax County Virginia Public Schools Praise for Dangerous Minds Johnson shows the importance of basic respect, constant encouragement, and urthodox teaching strategies for a generation (ather generation) of disenfranchised students. - Kirkus Review Remarkable - Johnson proves that urthodox methods can turn a problem kid into an A student. - Vogue
- Author BiographyLouAnne Johnson is a former U.S. Navy journalist, Marine Corps officer, andhigh school teacher. She is the author of several books, including theNew York Times bestseller Dangerous Minds. Johnson is an ESL teacher,student advocate, and educational consultant.
- Author(s)LouAnne Johnson
- PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Date of Publication30/03/2007
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJossey-Bass Inc.,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight310 g
- Width155 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $64.22Trending at AU $77.83
- AU $21.86Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $19.90Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $19.49
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $94.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.