All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUniversal social policies have the power to reduce inequality and create more cohesive societies. How can countries in the South deliver universalism? This book answers this question through a comparative analysis of Costa Rica, Mauritius, South Korea, and Uruguay, and a detailed historical account of Costa Rica's successful trajectory. Against the backdrop of democracy and progressive parties, the authors place at center stage the policy architectures defined as the combination of instruments that dictate the benefits available to people. The volume also explores the role of state actors in building pro-universal architectures. This book will interest advanced students and scholars of human development and public and social policies, as well as policymakers eager to promote universal policies across the South.
- Author BiographyJuliana Martinez Franzoni is Associate Professor at the University of Costa Rica (Institute for Social Research), and is editor of ZED/CROP's series on global poverty. Her recent publications include Good Jobs and Social Services (2012) and Domesticar la Incertidumbre en America Latina (2008). She has published in many journals, including Development and Change, Global Social Policy, and Social Politics. Diego Sanchez-Ancochea is upcoming Director of the Latin American Centre, University of Oxford, as well as Associate Professor in the Political Economy of Latin America and a Fellow of St Antony's College. His recent publications include Good Jobs and Social Services (2013), Handbook of Central American Governance (2013), The Political Economy of the Budget in the Americas (2009) and The Political Economy of Hemispheric Integration in the Americas (2009).
- Author(s)Diego Sanchez-Ancochea,Juliana Martinez Franzoni
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication20/10/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note29 tables
- Weight540 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $6.15New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.