All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEdward Dante Bourdillon is a man whose fate is linked to the oceans. His parents perished on the waves and, brought up by his uncle who owns a boatyard, Edward leads a life in love with the sea. That is, until he sinks his uncle's yacht. Soon our hero is bound for Cape Town on an old tramp steamer. From earthquakes to shipwreck, it seems his fortune is turning sour until forgiveness and World War One looms on the horizon.
- Author BiographyJohn Harris, wrote under his own name and also the pen names of Mark Hebden and Max Hennessy. He was born in 1916 and educated at Rotherham Grammar School before becoming a journalist on the staff of the local paper. A short period freelancing preceded World War II, during which he served as a corporal attached to the South African Air Force. Moving to the Sheffield Telegraph after the war, he also became known as an accomplished writer and cartoonist. Other 'part time' careers followed. He started writing novels in 1951 and in 1953 had considerable success when his best-selling 'The Sea Shall Not Have Them' was filmed. He went on to write many more war and modern adventure novels under his own name, and also some authoritative non-fiction, such as 'Dunkirk'. Using the name Max Hennessy, he wrote some very accomplished historical fiction and as Mark Hebden, the 'Chief Inspector Pel' novels which feature a quirky Burgundian policeman. Harris was a sailor, an airman, a journalist, a travel courier, a cartoonist and a history teacher, who also managed to squeeze in over eighty books. A master of war and crime fiction, his enduring novels are versatile and entertaining.
- Author(s)John Harris
- PublisherHouse of Stratus
- Date of Publication30/05/2001
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationKelly Bray
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published1992
- ImprintHouse of Stratus
- Weight478 g
- Width135 mm
- Height205 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $55.12Trending at AU $56.46
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.77
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.14
- AU $12.11Trending at AU $19.07
- AU $59.86Trending at AU $63.64
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $20.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.