Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $30.25Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.84+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Quiet SeasonRemembering Country WintersJerry Apps As I think back to the days of my childhood, the frost-covered windows in my bedroom, the frigid walks to the country school, the excitement of a blizzard, and a hundred other memories, I realize that these experiences left an indelible mark on me and made me who I am today. From the IntroductionJerry Apps recalls winters growing up on a farm in central Wisconsin during the latter years of the Depression and through World War II. Before electricity came to this part of Waushara County, farmers milked cows by hand with the light of a kerosene lantern, woodstoves heated the drafty farm homes, and making wood was a major part of every winter s work. The children in Jerry s rural community walked to a country school that was heated with a woodstove and had indoor plumbing. Wisconsin winters then were a time of reflection, of planning for next year, and of families drawing together. Jerry describes how winter influenced farm families and suggests that those of us who grow up with harsh rthern winters are profoundly affected in ways we often are t aware.
- Author BiographyJerry Apps was born and raised on a central Wisconsin farm before electricity, indoor plumbing, and central heating came to the country. He has been a rural historian and environmental writer for more than forty years and has published fiction and nonfiction books on many rural topics, including Ringlingville USA, Casper Jaggi: Master Swiss Cheese Maker, Horse-Drawn Days, Old Farm, Garden Wisdom, and Limping through Life for the Wisconsin Historical Society Press. He is a former county extension agent and professor emeritus at the University of Wisconsin College of Agricultural and Life Sciences. Jerry and his wife, Ruth, divide their time between their home in Madison and their farm, Roshara, west of Wild Rose.
- Author(s)Mr Jerry Apps
- PublisherWisconsin Historical Society Press
- Date of Publication15/08/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWisconsin Historical Society Press
- Weight340 g
- Width140 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.35New
- AU $7.78Used
- AU $21.21New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.03New
- AU $6.47Used
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $23.70New
- AU $11.12Used
- AU $19.95New
- AU $32.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $29.92
- AU $40.04Trending at AU $43.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.32
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $29.92
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.32
- AU $101.89Trending at AU $118.47
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.