All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSerial fiction about wireless and radio was the most popular young adult literature at the turn of the 20th century and a form of early social media. Before television and the Internet, book about plucky youths braving danger and adventure with the help of wireless communication brought young people together. They gathered in basements to build crystal sets and listen to early broadcasts. They built transmitters and talked to each other across neighborhoods, cities and states. By 1920, there was music on the airwaves and boys and girls tuned in on homemade radios, inspired by their favorite stories. This book covers more than 50 volumes of wireless and radio themed fiction, offering a unique perspective on the world presented to young readers of the day. The values, attitudes, culture and techlogy of a century ago are discussed, along with issues still debated today, including immigration, gun violence, race, bullying and ecomic inequality.
- Author BiographyMike Adams, an award-winning documentary producer, is a professor at San Jose State University, USA. He lives in Scotts Valley, California.
- Author(s)Mike Adams
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/03/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note86 photographs
- Weight431 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.