All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionThe Radio Eye: Cinema in the North Atlantic, 1958-1988, examines the way in which media experiments in Quebec, Newfoundland, the Faroe Islands, and the Irish-Gaelic-speaking communities of Ireland use film, video, and television to advocate for marginalized communities and often for smaller languages. The Radio Eye is t, however, a set of isolated case studies. Author Jerry White illustrates the degree to which these experiments are interconnected, sometimes implicitly but more often quite explicitly. Media makers in the North Atlantic during the period 1958-1988 were very aware of each other's cultures and aspirations, and, by structuring the book in two interlocking parts, White illustrates the degree to which a common project emerged during those three decades. The book is bound together by White's belief that these experiments are following in the idealism of Soviet silent filmmaker Dziga Vertov, who wrote about his tion of the Radio Eye. White also puts these experiments in the context of work by the Cuban filmmaker and theorist Julio Garcia Espisa and his tion of imperfect cinema, Jurgen Habermas and his tions of the public sphere, and edourard Glissant's ideas about creolite as the defining aspect of modern culture. This is a genuinely internationalist moment, and these experiments are in conversation with a wide array of thought across a number of languages.
- Author BiographyJerry White is Canada Research Chair in European Studies at Dalhousie University. He is the author of The Radio Eye: Cinema in the North Atlantic, 1958-1988 and Of This Place and Elsewhere: The Films and Photography of Peter Mettler, editor of The Cinema of Canada, and co-editor of North of Everything: English-Canadian Cinema since 1980.
- Author(s)Jerry White
- PublisherWilfrid Laurier University Press
- Date of Publication17/11/2009
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationWaterloo, Ontario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintWilfrid Laurier University Press
- Content Noteb/w maps & illus
- Weight550 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.