All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionContains over 50,000 concise entries divided into Maori-English and English-Maori sections. Includes all the words most commonly used by fluent Maori speakers. Features a vocabulary list with words for new inventions, metric terms, modern concepts and scientific, computer, technological and legal terms. Incorporates an easy-to-use guide to the pronunciation of Maori and a section on Maori grammar. Includes separate lists giving Maori translations of seasons, months, days of the week, points of the compass, parts of the body, New Zealand and overseas place names, and personal names. Contains a Maori proverbs section, complete with translations and interpretations, and a map of tribal areas.
- Author BiographyPa Ryan came to Aotearoa in 1954 after studying in England and Holland. He was sent by the Mill Hill Missionary Society of London, England, which has supplied priests and brothers for the Maori people since 1886. Learning Maori language and customs was always their priority and so he was asked to serve in parishes in Northland and among the Arawa of Rotorua and the Tainui people of Waikato. After seven years he took up a teaching post at Hato Petera College where he taught until 1976. He was then seconded to the Tamaki Maori Mission centred at Te Unga Waka, Epsom, where he is currently chaplain to the marae.
- Author(s)P.M. Ryan
- PublisherPenguin Group (NZ)
- Date of Publication02/07/2012
- LanguageMaori & English
- SubjectBilingual Dictionaries
- Place of PublicationAuckland
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintRaupo Publishing (NZ) Ltd
- Content Notemap
- Weight1070 g
- Width154 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine42 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
- Edition StatementRevised edition
Save on Other
- AU $76.16Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $43.22Trending at AU $44.60
- AU $41.45Trending at AU $44.59
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $37.63
- AU $19.43Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $19.61Trending at AU $25.98
- AU $48.93Trending at AU $55.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.