All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.85
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $73.99
About this product
- DescriptionThe Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church explores the history of preaching from the words of Moses at Mount Sinai through modern times. This sixth volume, The Modern Age , tells the story from the French Revolution to the fall of the Berlin Wall (1789-1989). During this time, preaching continued to support its historic faith while the church undertook to resist secularization, come to grips with Biblical criticism, and initiate bold overseas missions. Opening with the revived Catholic Order of Preachers, Abraham Kuyper, and Friedrich Schleiermacher, Old moves on to consider John Henry Newman and Charles Haddon Spurgeon. He then carefully examines the evangelical Calvinism of New England, as well as the beginnings of black preaching and the great American school of Charles Finney, Dwight L. Moody, and Harry Emerson Fosdick. In the twentieth century, Old's focus falls on the crises of the two world wars, especially the courageous ministries of German, Dutch, and Hungarian preachers during the Third Reich.
- Author BiographyHughes Oliphant Old is Dean of the Institute for Reformed Worship at Erskine Theological Seminary, South Carolina, USA.
- Author(s)Hughes Oliphant Old
- PublisherWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Date of Publication01/11/2006
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationGrand Rapids
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Weight1334 g
- Width152 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine52 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.