All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionIn a series of ninety-five poems we listen to The Reasoner , a voice that is by turns ardent, despairing and comic. Petty obsessions rub against attempts at philosophical seriousness; vernacular expression vies with an intent deliberation. Above all, the Reasoner is worried. He has cherished the tion that, with thought and study, the world may be understood. But the world remains recalcitrant, elusive even in simple things like the trickeries of light on a spider's web. Language plays tricks, although it may be as complete as we can manage. History proposes and disposes of its patterns. Behind all this there may be a 'hidden order' - and that is both a hope and a fear. Does God help us to understand any of this? Does Art? Is the 'soul' a sanctuary? The Reasoner , the reader, 'smiles ruefully and soldiers on', 'for this is t a wicked but a hard world, and people struggle, without a scheme of things, and deserve release.'
- Author BiographyJeffrey Wainwright was born in Stoke-on-Trent in 1944 and was educated locally and at the University of Leeds. He has taught at the University of Wales, Long Island University in Brooklyn and for many years at the Manchester Metropolitan University, where he was Professor of English until 2008. He is married to Judith Wainwright with whom he had two grown-up children. They live in Manchester and spend some parts of the year in Italy. Jeffrey Wainwright has written many articles and reviews on poetry and two books of criticism, Poetry the Basics (2004) and Acceptable Words:Essays on the Poetry of Geoffrey Hill (2005), and has translated plays by Peguy, Corneille and Koltes for radio and stage.
- Author(s)Jeffrey Wainwright
- PublisherCarcanet Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/09/2012
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCarcanet Press Ltd
- Weight159 g
- Width132 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.