All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn a distinguished 43-year recording career that began with the recording of two duets by Blangini and Leguerney in 1944, this remarkably versatile artist recorded more than 750 titles in at least 15 languages. These recordings, appearing on nearly 50 labels (more than 535 different catalog numbers) on 78s, 45s, LPs, prerecorded open reel tapes, 8-track cartridges, cassettes, and CDs, earned Souzay numerous awards. Souzay won the prestigious French Grand Prix du Disque on three separate occasions for performances of a Handel aria, Ravel songs, and classical arias with orchestra. Except for operas and cantatas, Souzay rarely recorded joint programs: his only recorded duets were with his sister, sopra Genevieve Touraine, Germaine Lubin, and Elly Ameling. This three-section discography has been meticulously researched and organized by Manuel Morris and includes cross-referenced indices to facilitate easy access to needed information. Separate sections present a chrological list of all Souzay's recordings; an alphabetical list by composer and title of work; and a list of all the recordings that have been assigned catalog numbers. Recordings of an archival nature such as radio broadcasts and privately recorded concert performances that were t released for sale are t included in the discography but virtually all information relating in any way to a listed recording has been included. Following the work's introduction, the discography is organized into principal sections: Chrology, Composers and Titles, Recordings, and Indices. The Chrology lists all of Souzay's recordings, including, when kwn, recording dates and matrix and take numbers. When located, data on rejected takes has been included here. The Composers and Titles section provides an alphabetical list by composer of the title of the recorded work. All recordings that have been assigned catalog numbers, including those t published, are listed in the main entries of the Recordings section; this is divided into four subsections based on recording companies. Within groups, recordings are listed alphabetically by label. Data on the availability of the recording, its release, and deletion are usually provided with each listing. Two indices consist of an alphanumeric listing of all kwn labels and catalog numbers (cross-referenced to the recording section) and a listing of all artists who appear in recordings with Souzay. Morris's systematic and comprehensive discography will make this an indispensable resource in the musical reference section of libraries at universities and conservatories. It should also prove useful for professional singers, vocal teachers and their students, collectors, and musicologists.
- Author BiographyMANUEL MORRIS is an independent researcher who received his B.S. in Engineering from UCLA. He has also written articles on environmental issues for Wilderness Magazine, and is presently working on discographies of Galina Vishnevskaya and Joseph Schmidt.
- Author(s)Manuel Morris
- Date of Publication11/12/1990
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleDiscographies: Association for Recorded Sound Collections Discographic Reference
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo 41
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight559 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.