All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn the death of her mother, Lin Daiyu, a beautiful young girl, is taken far away to the capital to live with her mother's aristocratic relatives in the inner courtyards of Rongguo Mansion. educated and resourceful, Daiyu has grown up in relative freedom down south. Now she finds herself in the strictly regulated society of 18th century Beijing where women are bought and traded like cattle. This is a highly competitive female society of first wives, concubines and servants all jockeying for power. Dazzled by the easy charm and rebellious intelligence of her cousin, Baoyu, whose miraculous birth with a piece of jade in his mouth means that he holds the fortune of the family in his hands, Daiyu falls dangerously in love. And as she tries to tread a delicate path between following her heart and doing what is asked of her, she discovers that one's loyalty is immune to the pressures of society. Beautifully written, THE RED CHAMBER brings you into a world where wealth and duty, love and passion, continually collide.
- Author BiographyPauline Chen has degrees from Harvard and Yale Law School, and a doctorate from Princeton University and has taught at the University of Minnesota. At age 34, she left academia to pursue a long-deferred dream of writing fiction.
- Author(s)Pauline Chen
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication01/08/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVirago Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight388 g
- Width127 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $30.15
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.