All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn extensively revised Backgrounds and Contexts section provides geographical and political insights into mid-nineteenth century France and places the vel in the context of contemporary authors and works. A map of 1830s France, political and literary chrologies, an account of the trial of Antoine Berthet, and related writings by Stendhal, Paul Valery, and Jules Janin are included. Criticism collects nine essays, seven of which are new to this edition, by Erich Auerbach, Rene Girard, Victor Brombert, Shoshana Felman, Peter Brooks, Sandy Petrey, Alison Finch, Lisa G. Algazi, and Susanna Lee. A Chrology of Stendhal's life and work, also new to the Second Edition, and an updated Selected Bibliography are included.
- Author BiographySusanna Lee's thoughtful revision of the footnotes for the Second Edition, expanding detailed references to historical figures and nineteenth-century French locales, will greatly assist students in understanding this complicated novel. She is Associate Professor of French at Georgetown University. She is the author of A World Abandoned by God: Narrative and Secularism, and has written numerous articles on nineteenth-century narrative literature, the history of ideas, and American crime fiction. Robert M. Adams was Professor of English (Emeritus) at the University of California at Los Angeles. He was the author of many books, including Ikon: John Milton and the Modern Critics; Strains of Discord; Proteus, His Lies, His Truth: Discussion of Literary Translation; The Land and Literature of England; and Shakespeare-The Four Romances. In addition to the Norton Critical Edition of Utopia (he was translator and editor of the First and Second Editions), Professor Adams was editor of five other Norton Critical Editions, including The Prince by Machiavelli, Candide by Voltaire, and The Praise of Folly and Other Writings by Erasmus, the texts of which he also translated. He was a founding editor of The Norton Anthology of English Literature.
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication12/02/2008
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleNorton Critical Editions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Note1 map
- Weight600 g
- Width129 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited bySusanna Lee
- Translated byRobert M. Adams
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $33.35
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.57Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.