Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionMaine de Biran's work has had an ermous influence on the development of French Philosophy - Henri Bergson called him the greatest French metaphysician since Descartes and Malebranche, Jules Lachelier referred to him as the French Kant, and Royer-Collard called him simply 'the master of us all' - and yet the philosopher and his work remain unkwn to many English speaking readers. From Ravaisson and Bergson, through to the phemelogy of major figures such as Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Michel Henry, and Paul Ricoeur, Biran's influence is evident and ackwledged as a major contribution. The tion of corps propre, so important to phemelogy in the twentieth century, originates in his thought. His work also had a huge impact on the distinction between the virtual and the actual as well as the concepts of effort and puissance, ermously important to the development of Deleuze's and Foucault's work. This volume, the first English translation of Maine de Biran in nearly a century, introduces Anglophone readers to the work of this seminal thinker. The Relationship Between the Physical and the Moral in Man is an expression of Biran's mature 'spiritualism' and philosophy of the will as well as perhaps the clearest articulation of his understanding of what would later come to be called the mind-body problem. In this text Biran sets out forcefully his case for the automy of mental or spiritual life against the reductive explanatory power of the physicalist natural sciences. The translation is accompanied by critical essays from experts in France and the United Kingdom, situating Biran's work and its reception in its proper historical and intellectual context.
- Author BiographyFrancois-Pierre-Gonthier Maine de Biran(1766 - 1824) was a prominent 19th century French Philosopher and Politician. Darian Meacham is Senior Lecturer in Philosophy at UWE, Bristol, UK. Joseph Spadola has a PhD in Philosophy from the Universite Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne, France and is currently a lawyer in New York.
- Author(s)Maine de Biran
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication20/10/2016
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Weight371 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byDarian Meacham,Joseph Spadola
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.