All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn insider s experience and personal transformation with ayahuasca and the religious philosophy surrounding it An intimate account of the genesis of the Santo Daime tradition Edited and introduced by Stephen Larsen, author of The Shaman s Doorway In search of something to restore his spiritual connection to life after his release from captivity as a political prisoner in Brazil, Alex Polari de Alverga had a transformative encounter with Padrinho Sebastiao Mota de Mela, one of the two revered founders of Santo Daime. A potent synthesis of Christianity and indigeus Amazonian practices of entheogen use, mediumship, and healing, the Santo Daime church provided Alverga with an alternative to his disillusionment with modern society. His quest for spiritual initiation eventually led him deep into the heart of the rain forest to Mapia, one of the spiritual centers of Santo Daime, where he became a teacher and leader of the Daime community. The Religion of Ayahuasca is a story of a classic spiritual encounter comparable to the Tibetan Saint Milarepa s search for his teacher Marpa. It is also an intimate account of the genesis of an important religious tradition from its modest beginnings in Brazil to its growth throughout the world, offering an inside look at the spiritually centered village of Mapia--a model for communities in the 21st century--and at the religious leader who helped create it. Providing insight into the spiritual path the Daime offers, Alverga s tale reveals the new depths of Being made available through the sacred use of ayahuasca.
- Author BiographyAlex Polari de Alverga spent years as a political prisoner during the rule of the military junta in Brazil, enduring torture, brutality, and deprivation. On his release from captivity, he encountered the Santo Daime religion and is currently a padrinho (spiritual father) in the spiritual community of Mapia.
- Author(s)Alex Polari de Alverga
- PublisherInner Traditions Bear and Company
- Date of Publication01/12/2010
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationRochester, VT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPark Street Press,U.S.
- Content Note8 page b&w insert
- Weight476 g
- Width153 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.38New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.87New
- AU $6.50Used
- AU $31.93New
- AU $20.05New
- AU $24.96New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.75Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $38.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.