All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is an analysis of the textual representation of dance in the Australian vel since the late 1890s. It examines how the act of dance is variously portrayed, how the word 'dance' is used metaphorically to convey actual or imagined movement, and how dance is written in a velistic form. The author employs a wide range of theoretical approaches including postcolonial studies, theories concerned with class, gender, metaphor and dance and, in particular, Jung's concept of the shadow and theories concerned with vision. Through these variegated approaches, the study critiques the common view that dance is an expression of joie de vivre, liberation, transcendence, order and beauty. This text also probes issues concerned with the enactment of dance in Australia and abroad, and contributes to an understanding of how dance is 'translated' into literature. It makes an important contribution because the study of dance in Australian literature has been minimal, and this despite the reality that dances is prolific in Australian vels.
- Author BiographyMelinda Jewell attained a Bachelor of Science majoring in Environmental Plant Biology and Resource and Environmental Management from Macquarie University, Sydney in 1995. Her academic focus then changed to the arts, receiving a Bachelor of Arts specialising in dance and literature from the University of New South Wales in 2002. Her doctoral thesis extended on this topic and was completed at the University of Western Sydney in late 2008. Currently, Melinda Jewell works for the Writing and Society Research Group at the University of Western Sydney overseeing the group's postgraduate training program.
- Author(s)Melinda Jewell
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication01/11/2010
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2010
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note99, tables
- Weight540 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.95Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.