All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book deals with the De Bry collection of voyages, one of the most monumental publications of Early Modern Europe. It analyzes the textual and icographic changes the De Bry publishing family made to travel accounts describing Asia, Africa and the New World. It discusses this editorial strategy in the context of the publishing industry around 1600, investigating the biography of the De Brys, the publications of the Frankfurt firm, and the making of the collection, as well as its reception by Iberian inquisitors and seventeenth-century readers across the Old World. The book draws on a wide variety of primary sources, and is hence important for historians, book historians, and art historians interested in the development of Europe's overseas empires. Originally published in hardcover.
- Author BiographyMichiel van Groesen, (1975) Ph.D. with honours in History, University of Amsterdam, is lecturer in American History and Early Modern History at this institution. He works on European representations of the overseas world, with particular interest for Dutch images of the Atlantic world.
- Author(s)Michiel van Groesen
- Date of Publication23/02/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleBrill's Paperback Collection / History
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight920 g
- Width16 mm
- Height24 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $27.94
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.