All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the years before the Civil War, many Americans saw the sea as a world apart, an often violent and insular culture governed by its own definitions of hor and ruled by its own authorities. The truth, however, is that legal cases that originated at sea had a tendency to come ashore and force the national government to address questions about personal hor, dignity, the rights of laborers, and the meaning and privileges of citizenship, often for the first time. By examining how and why merchant seamen and their officers came into contact with the law, Matthew Taylor Raffety exposes the complex relationship between brutal crimes committed at sea and the development of a legal consciousness within the judiciary and among seafarers in this period. The Republic Afloat tracks how seamen conceived of themselves as individuals and how they defined their place within the United States. Of interest to historians of labor, law, maritime culture, and national identity in the early republic, Raffety's work reveals much about the ways that merchant seamen sought to articulate the ideals of freedom and citizenship before the courts of the land - and how they helped to shape the laws of the young republic.
- Author BiographyMatthew Taylor Raffety is associate professor of history at the University of Redlands in California.
- Author(s)Matthew Taylor Raffety
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication26/04/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleAmerican Beginnings, 1500 - 1900
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note10 halftones
- Weight531 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.06New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $56.86Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.