All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPlants, so predictable, stay where they are. And yet, like all living things, they also move: they grow, adapt, shed leaves and bark, spread roots and branches, snare pollinators, and reward cultivators. This book, the first to thoroughly explore the subject since Darwin's 1881 treatise on movements in plants, is a comprehensive, up-to-date account of the mechanisms and the adaptive values that move plants. Drawing on examples across the spectrum of plant families - including mosses, ferns, conifers, and flowering plants - the author opens a window on how plants move: within cells, as individual cells, and via organs. Opening with an explanation of how cellular motors work and how cells manage to move organs, Dov Koller considers the movement of roots, tubers, rhizomes, and other plant parts underground, as well as the more familiar stems, leaves, and flowers. Throughout, Koller presents information at the subcellular and cellular levels, including the roles of receptors, signaling pathways, hormones, and physiological responses in motor function. He also discusses the adaptive significance of movements. His book exposes the workings of a world little understood and often overlooked, the world of restless plants and the movements by which they accomplish the necessary functions of their lives.
- Author BiographyDov Koller was Professor Emeritus in the Department of Botany at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Elizabeth Van Volkenburgh is Adjunct Professor of Forest Resources and Divisional Dean for Research, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Washington.
- Author(s)Dov Koller
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication21/12/2010
- SubjectLife Sciences: Botany
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note6 halftones, 30 line illustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byElizabeth Van Volkenburgh
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.