All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDaily rhythms are a ubiquitous feature of living systems. Generally, these rhythms are t just passive consequences of cyclic fluctuations in the environment, but instead originate within the organism. In mammals, including humans, the master pacemaker controlling 24-hour rhythms is localized in the suprachiasmatic nuclei of the hypothalamus (SCN). This circadian clock is responsible for the temporal organization of a wide variety of functions, ranging from sleep and food intake, to physiological measures such as body temperature, heart rate and hormone release. Moreover, accumulating evidence suggests that dysfunction of the circadian rhythms due to genetic mutations or environmental factors (i.e., jet-lag or shift work) contribute to the development of many pathologies, including sleep disorders, mood and affective disorders such as major depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, as well as the risk of metabolic and cardiovascular disorders.
- Author BiographyAbout the Editors: Gianluca Tosini is Professor and Chair of the Department of Pharmacology at Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta. P. Michael Iuvone is Professor and Director of Research in the Department of Ophthalmology at Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta. Douglas G. McMahon is Professor of Biological Sciences and Pharmacology, Associate Director for Education and Training Vanderbilt Brain Institute, and Director of Graduate Studies in Neuroscience at Vanderbilt University, Nashville. Shaun P. Collin is Professor, Deputy Director of the Oceans Institute and Head of the Neuroecology Group at University of Western Australia, Crawley.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication09/01/2014
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleSpringer Series in Vision Research
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note17 black & white illustrations, 33 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight550 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byDouglas G McMahon,Gianluca Tosini,P. Michael Iuvone,Shaun P. Collin
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.81Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.