All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this study, Luba Freedman examines the revival of the twelve Olympian deities in the visual arts of sixteenth-century Italy. Renaissance representations of the Olympians as automous figures in paintings, sculpture and drawing were t easily integrated into a Christian society. While many patrons and artists venerated the ancient artworks for their artistic qualities, others, urished by religious beliefs, felt compelled to adapt ancient representations to Christian subjects. These conflicting attitudes influenced the representation of deities intentionally made all'antica, often resulting in an interweaving of classical and n-classical elements that is alien to the original, ancient sources. This study, the first devoted to this problem, highlights how problematic it was during the Cinquecento to display and receive images of pagan gods, whether shaped by ancient or contemporary artists. It offers new insights into the uneven absorption of the classical heritage during the early modern era.
- Author BiographyLuba Freedman is a scholar of Italian Renaissance art at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and has also been a Visiting Scholar at the American Academy in Rome and at the Center of Renaissance and Reformation Studies at Victoria College, University of Toronto. She is the author of The Classical Pastoral in the Visual Arts, Titian's Independent Self-Portraits and Titian's Portraits through Arentino's Lens. Freeman co-edited with Gerlinde Huber-Rebenich a book of essays, Wege zum Mythos. She is also on the advisory board of Renaissance Studies and The Sixteenth-Century Journal.
- Author(s)Luba Freedman
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2010
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note78 b/w illus.
- Weight640 g
- Width215 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.