All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFulton J. Sheen, Norman Vincent Peale, and Billy Graham were America's most popular religious leaders during the mid-twentieth century period kwn as the golden years of the Age of Extremes. It was part of an era that encompassed polemic contrasts of good and evil on the world stage in political philosophies and international relations. The 1950s and early 1960s, in particular, were years of high anxiety, competing ideologies, and hero/villain mania in America. Sheen was the voice of reason who spoke against those conflicting ideologies which were hostile to religious faith and democracy; Peale preached the gospel of reassurance, self-assurance, and success despite omius global threats; and Graham was the heroic model of faith whose message of conversion provided Americans an identity and direction opposite to atheistic communism. This study looks at how and why their rhetorical leadership, both separately and together, contributed to the climate of an extreme era and influenced a national religious revival.
- Author BiographyTimothy H. Sherwood, DMin, PhD, is a Roman Catholic priest for the Diocese of St. Petersburg, Florida. He currently serves as pastor at St. Raphael Catholic Parish in St. Petersburg and is an independent researcher in rhetorical criticism, homiletics, and leadership studies. He is the author of The Preaching of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen: The Gospel Meets the Cold War.
- Author(s)Timothy H. Sherwood
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication24/03/2015
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations
- Weight258 g
- Width151 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.15Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.