All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book represents a step forward into the development of text-setting studies from an Optimality Theory perspective, concentrating on the strong bond between the rhythm of spoken language and that of text set to music. It provides an overview of the prosodic characteristics of spoken English and Spanish (both synchronic and diachronic) as well as the evolution of their standard versification systems in order to explore the systematic application of a number of text-setting Optimality Theory constraints to a large corpus of English and Spanish folk and art songs. The theoretical and empirical analysis of the song corpus is developed to raise interest in the study of suprasegmental phology from an interdisciplinary point of view, presenting vocal music as a firm locus for the study of prosody, as well as to determine the degree of accuracy of the OT-based theories argued for in the existing literature.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Rosalia Rodriguez-Vazquez obtained B.A. degrees in English Philology and Music Performance from the University of Vigo, a Master's degree in Linguistics and Music from the University of Edinburgh and doctoral degrees in Phonology and Music from the University of Edinburgh, and English Linguistics from the University of Vigo. She currently lectures at the University of Vigo (Spain).
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication01/01/2010
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleLinguistic Insights
- Series Part/Volume Number110
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note45, 45 ill.
- Weight560 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byRosalia Rodriguez-Vazquez
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Save on Other
- AU $36.13Trending at AU $67.19
- AU $41.23Trending at AU $44.10
- AU $19.02Trending at AU $21.68
- AU $35.31Trending at AU $51.63
- AU $18.18Trending at AU $22.10
- AU $23.40Trending at AU $28.38
- AU $41.24Trending at AU $45.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.