All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis title explores key political, diplomatic, social, and military issues at stake. The Richmond campaign of 1862, waged by armies under Robert E. Lee and George B. McClellan, ranks as one of the most important military operations of the first years of the American Civil War. This book offers nine essays in which well-kwn Civil War historians explore questions regarding high command, strategy and tactics, the effects of the fighting upon politics and society both North and South, and the ways in which emancipation figured in the campaign. The authors have consulted previously untapped manuscript sources and reinterpreted more familiar evidence, sometimes focusing closely on the fighting around Richmond and sometimes looking more broadly at the background and consequences of the campaign. The contributors are William A. Blair, Keith S. Bohann, Peter S. Carmichael, Gary W. Gallagher, John T. Hubbell, Robert E. L. Krick, Robert K. Krick, James Marten, and William J. Miller.
- Author BiographyGARY W. GALLAGHER is John L. Nau III Professor of History at the University of Virginia and author or editor of numerous books, including Causes Won, Lost, and Forgotten: How Hollywood and Popular Art Shape What We Know about the Civil War (from the University of North Carolina Press).
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleMilitary Campaigns of the Civil War
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Note31 illustrations, 10 maps, notes, bibl., index
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byGary W. Gallagher
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $24.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.