All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFocusing on England, this study reconstructs the centuries-long process of commercialization that gave birth to the modern market society. It shows how certain types of markets (e.g. those for real estate, labor, capital, and culture) came into being, and how the social relations mediated by markets were formed. The book deals with the creation of institutions like the Bank of England, the Stock Exchange, and Lloyd's of London, as well as the way the English dealt with the uncertainty and the risks involved in market transactions. Christiane Eisenberg shows that the creation of a market society and modern capitalism in England occurred under circumstances that were utterly different from those on the European continent. In addition, she demonstrates that as a process, the commercialization of business, society, and culture in England did t lead directly to an industrial society, as has previously been suggested, but rather to a service ecomy. Christiane Eisenberg is Professor of British History at the Centre for British Studies at the Humboldt University, Berlin.Her interests lie in the comparative social and cultural histories of Germany and Britain in the 19th and 20th centuries. Internationally she is kwn for her work on the diffusion of modern sport.
- Author BiographyChristiane Eisenberg is Professor of British History at the Centre for British Studies at the Humboldt University, Berlin. Her interests lie in the comparative social and cultural histories of Germany and Britain in the 19th and 20th centuries. Internationally she is known for her work on the diffusion of modern sport.
- Author(s)Christiane Eisenberg
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication01/01/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleMonographs in British History
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight407 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Translated byDeborah Cohen
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.