All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith the rise of the various intellectual streams in the Western world in the second half of the twentieth century, modern Arab poets recognized the need to promote the Arabic poem. They knew that the road of self exploration and promotion begins in the ancestral legacy. The Road to Self-Revival explores the tendency of modern Arabic poetry to summon Sufi figures, thinking, philosophy, terms, attitudes and practices. Specifically, this volume focuses on the poetry of four Arab modernists: Abdul Wahab al-Bayyati (1926-1999), Ali Ahmad Said kwn as Adonis (1930-), Salah Abdu-s-Sabur (1931-1981) and Mahmud Darwish (1941-2008). The book traces a number of Sufi figures in the poetry of these poets: Bishr ibnul-?arith Al-?afi (767-840), Al-?usain Ben Mansur Al-?allaj (858-922), Farid ed-Din Al-'A??ar (1145/46-1221), Mu?yi ed-Din bnul-'Arabi (1165-1240) and Jalal ad-Din Mo?ammad Rumi (1207-1273).
- Author BiographyJamal Assadi is the Chair of the Department of English at The College of Sakhnin for Teacher Education, Sakhnin and a lecturer at An-Najah National University, Nablus. He received his PhD in English literature from the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne in England. In addition to numerous articles in professional journals, Dr. Assadi is the author of Acting, Rhetoric and Interpretation in Selected Novels by F. Scott Fitzgerald and Saul Bellow (2006), A Distant Drummer: Foreign Perspectives on F. Scott Fitzgerald (2007), Mohammad Ali Taha's A Rose To Hafeeza's Eyes and Other Stories (2008), Father and Son: Selected Short Fiction by Hanna Ibrahim Elias and Mohammad Ali Saeid (2009) and Mustafa Murrar: The Internal Pages and Other Stories (2010). Mahmud Na'amneh is a lecturer of Arabic at the College of Sakhnin, Israel, a researcher at the Majm a' of Arabic in Haifa and a coordinator of symposiums for graduate students in the Department of Arabic at Tel Aviv University, where he did his PhD on ancient myths and their manifestation in modern Arabic poetry.
- Author(s)Jamal Assadi,Mahmud Na'Amneh
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication10/02/2011
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight320 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.