All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA guidebook for walking in the footsteps of Robert Louis Stevenson as he travelled through France's Velay and Cevennes regions, from Le Puy to St Jean de Gard, accompanied by his faithful donkey, Modestine. At 140km, this route is ideal for people new to walking holidays. Early one morning in the autumn of 1878 Stevenson set out from the sleepy village of Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille to traverse the Velay and Cevennes and his account of his trek has long captured the imagination of walkers and lovers of literature alike. Today, the RLS Trail has become a classic route across the hills and along the valleys of this delightful region of rural France. The route, which is well served by accommodation of all types, is divided into 12 day-stages in the guide, so that the Trail easily fits into a fortnight's holiday. The book includes details of the facilities for the traveller and places of interest en route, together with a detailed route description and an account of Stevenson's adventures with Modestine. For those with more time available, trails that link the beginning and end of the route are also described, making it possible to walk all the way from the historic town of Le Puy to Ales. Packed with snippets of fascinating information about this historic region, the guide is also of use to cyclists and motorists keen to trace a parallel road route, following in the footsteps of Stevenson and Modestine.
- Author BiographyAlan Castle is a writer and photographer specialising in the outdoors, walking, backpacking, mountain walking, trekking and travel in the UK, Europe and worldwide. His interests include UK and European long distance trails, challenge walking, Munroes and peak bagging and adventure travel- he leads several walking holidays throughout Europe each year. He is an occasional contributor to a number of walking magazines and is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and a member of the Austrian Alpine Club.
- Author(s)Alan Castle
- PublisherCicerone Press
- Date of Publication08/10/2007
- SubjectWalking / Hiking & Activity Maps & Guides
- Place of PublicationCumbria
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCicerone Press
- Content Note85 colour photos and 15 colour maps
- Weight260 g
- Width116 mm
- Height172 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.