All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection of papers represents some of those given at the International Congress for Plant Pathology held in Turin in 2008 in the session with the title The Role of Plant Pathology in Food Safety and Food Security . Although food safety in terms of Is this food safe to eat? did t receive much direct attention it is, never theless, an important topic. A crop may t be safe to eat because of its inh- ent qualities. Cassava, for example, is cyagenic, and must be carefully prepared if toxicosis is to be avoided. Other crops may be safe to eat providing they are t infected or infested by microorganisms. Mycotoxins are torious examples of compounds which may contaminate a crop either pre- or post-harvest owing to the growth of fungi. Two papers in this book deal with toxins, one by Barbara Howlett and co-workers and the other by Robert Proctor and co-workers. In the first of these, the role of sirodesmin PL, a compound produced by Leptosphaeria ma- lans, causal agent of blackleg disease of oilseed rape (Brassica napus), is discussed. The authors conclude that the toxin plays a role in virulence of the fungus and may also be beneficial in protecting the pathogen from other competing micro-organisms but there seem to be reports of its mammalian toxicity.
- Author BiographyRichard N. Strange is Senior Lecturer in Plant Pathology at University College London and has a special interest in the plant disease problems of developing countries. Maria Lodovica Gullino is a professor of plant pathology at the University of Torino and President of the International Society for Plant Pathology. She has long term experience in plant disease management.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication10/12/2009
- SubjectLife Sciences: Botany
- Series TitlePlant Pathology in the 21st Century
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 3
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight445 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byMaria Lodovica Gullino,R. N. Strange
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.