All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEmploying a historically-informed narrative-critical approach to 'Luke-Acts', this work illuminates Luke's portrayals of Roman officials in light of the Jewish portrayals of Gentile rulers in both the Old Testament and in Second Temple literature. It explores the intertextual relationship of 'Luke-Acts' with preceding Jewish literature, going beyond quotations and clear allusions. Luke's worldview is holistic: both Jewish and Roman authorities are under the authority of the Roman emperor, who is in turn under Satan's authority. False dichotomies such as those between Jewish and Roman, political and religious, and supernatural and earthly must be avoided. In this interpretative framework, five Roman provincial goverrs and three Herodian rulers are examined. Luke's portrayals of Roman and Herodian rulers reflect certain patterns found in Jewish literature concerning the relationship between God, Israel and Gentile rulers. Luke's portrayals of Roman and Jewish rulers are shown as having several important narrative functions. They t only shed light on the political background of early Christianity, but also illuminate theology, Christology, and ecclesiology in Luke-Acts. Formerly The Journal for the Study of the New Testament Supplement , a book series that explores the many aspects of New Testament study including historical perspectives, social-scientific and literary theory, and theological, cultural and contextual approaches. The Early Christianity in Context series, a part of JSNTS, examines the birth and development of early Christianity up to the end of the third century CE. The series places Christianity in its social, cultural, political and ecomic context. European Seminar on Christian Origins and Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus Supplement are also part of JSNTS.
- Author BiographyKazuhiko Yamazaki-Ransom is Professor of Biblical Studies at Revival Biblical Seminary in Aichi, Japan.
- Author(s)Kazuhiko Yamazaki-Ransom
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication25/03/2010
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleThe Library of New Testament Studies
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 404
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight517 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.