All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Russian dynasty of the Romav tsars was born in 1613 during an era of intense civil strife with the coronation of Mikhail Fedorivch Romav; it was destroyed in the revolutionary turmoil of 1917. In the intervening three centuries the relatively small, land-locked kingdom of Muscovy grew into the world's largest land empire. Yet size was protection for the dynasty, and throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries there developed a conflicting triangular relationship which had, at its apex, the tsarist autocratic government and, at the other two angles, the separate focuses of mass popular opinion and intellectual dissent. These three elements were in a state of almost continuous tension, mutual antagonism and misunderstanding. As the imperial system of government increased in power, its political, social and ecomic policies generated the seeds of opposition that eventually led to its distruction. This is the first modern account devoted to an investigation of the Romav Empire from its inception to its demise. It combines a fascinating study of the personalities and politics of individual autocrats, such as Peter the Great, with an examination of the multifarious challenges to the imperial state the governed and misgoverned.
- Author BiographyAlan Wood is Senior Lecturer in Russian History at Lancaster University and Visiting Professor of Russian History at the University of the Bosphorus, Istanbul. Previous publications include The Origins of the Russian Revolution, Stalin and Stalinism, and several books on the history of Siberia.
- Author(s)Alan Wood
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication27/04/2007
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHodder Arnold
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight620 g
- Width185 mm
- Height217 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.