All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe music of Texas and the American Southwest is as diverse and distinctive as the many different groups who have lived in the region over the past several centuries, writes Gary Hartman in his introduction to this refreshingly different look at various genres of Texas music. The Roots of Texas Music celebrates the diverse sources of the music of the Lone Star State by gathering chapters by specialists on each of them. Editor, Lawrence S. Clayton, conceived this project as one that would t simply repeat the common wisdom about Texas music traditions but rather offer new perspectives. The result is a lively, captivating, and original look at the musical traditions of one of the nation's most fertile musical seedbeds. Authorities on each subject explore music of the Texas Germans and Czechs, black Creoles, Chicas, and blues and gospel singers. The diverse genres included in this anthology also provide an introduction to the classes, cultures, races, and ethnic groups of Texas and highlight the ways in which the state's musical wealth has influenced the listening habits of the nation.
- Author BiographyThe late LAWRENCE S. CLAYTON was dean of Liberal Arts at Hardin-Simmons University. His many publications focused largely on the life and literature of the American West, especially on contemporary cowboy and ranch life. JOE W. SPECHT is director of the Jay-Rollins Library at McMurry University. A former host of his own radio show, Burning Memories: The Texas Tradition, he has contributed entries to The Encyclopedia of Country Music and has published articles in Old Time Music and The Journal of Texas Music History.
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2005
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleCentennial Series of the Association of Former Students
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 93
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note9 b&w photos, index
- Weight381 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byJoe W. Specht,Lawrence S. Clayton
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.